? ??????????????It's A Boy (New)? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (1 Rating)??3 Grabs Today. 1414 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????????????????Baby Phat? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.8 (9 Ratings)??3 Grabs Today. 2425 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Inspire Luncheon

Mom and I on stage
Katie, Lindsay, and I with Phil Stacey

Katie and I...I look huge in this picture!


Every April for the past 6 years I have had the privileged of attending a luncheon for the Mary Ellen Locker Foundation. I look forward to this Sunday all year. The Mary Ellen Locker Foundation was established by Mary Ellen Locker Byrd. MEL use to be an anchor woman in Chattanooga, however, that was one of her many jobs. MEL was diagnosed with cancer and instead of sitting back and letting it overcome her she decided that she had to do something to help all women impacted by breast cancer. She started the Children of Breast Cancer foundation which later was rename the Mary Ellen Locker foundation. MEL started the foundation to help those impacted by this horrible disease and also because she wanted to make sure her son Alex would be taken care of. MEL passed away but her legacy lives on and her foundation grows larger every year. The MEL foundation has helped so many go to college and accomplish their dreams. I feel so blessed to have been one of the recipients. I believe that if it had not been for the MEL foundation that I might not have accomplished my dream of being a teacher. The foundation has also helped my sister and sister in law in their college endeavors. I truly owe more thanks than I can give to the MEL foundation and all that are involved. Every year they have a luncheon where they hand out scholarships and raise money. This year I had the opportunity to say a few words during the event. My job was to say a few words about how I have been impacted by the foundation and then ask for people to leave a donation on their table. Before I was about to walk on the stage I was presented with an awesome gift basket. It was all boy themed and had so many amazing things inside. It had onesies, blankets, a little care package, and a Babies R us gift card. The foundation has already given me so much and now they acknowledge my baby. It was so exciting and I am so thankful! Every year they have great entertainment. One year it was Barbara Dooley the wife of Vince Dooley who is a well know football coach, Rhonda Rich who is a hilarious southern author, and Randy Owen from the group Alabama performed one year. This year Phil Stacey from American Idol performed. He did a great job and really seemed to be glad to be working with the foundation. He has decided to make the MEL foundation the main charity that he supports. I had the opportunity to have my picture taken with him and he seemed like a pretty cool guy. Every year I have a great time and this year was no exception! I can't wait til next year and take Luke to this awesome event!

0 comments: